Support for Families

The role of an Outreach Worker

They work as part of the Family Centre Team and offer:

  • support and advice on parenting

  • provide activities and services through home visiting and groups in the Centre

  • offer a listening ear

  • can meet face to face with families at home, at the Centre or a place that suits the family

Outreach Workers provide support, resources and advice around a range of issues, including:

  • find local groups for the parent/carer to attend

  • positive parenting and managing a child’s behavior, boundary setting, child development

  • financial difficulties/worries

  • support around transition points; i.e. birth, settling into pre-school, school

  • support for parents wishing to return to education, employment or training

  • working with parents/carers to manage their own well-being and to build their confidence

  • support for children with disabilities or special needs.

Supporting parents and carers

Family Centres offer early intervention family support that aims to help families before problems get too big. In our work with families we use a range of approaches and resources to help improve emotional well-being, social skills and opportunities for children to enjoy and achieve. Our service is confidential and we will not disclose any information without the individual’s agreement, except when a child may be at risk of harm.

Examples of specific areas of support

  • Help with parenting skills

  • Support for victims of domestic abuse

  • Help with debt, budgeting, benefits, housing issues

  • Support to access further education and adult/family learning

  • Help to find childcare, choosing quality childcare

  • Information about local activities for children

  • Information, advice and guidance about child safety

  • Information, advice and guidance about healthy eating, oral hygiene

  • Support getting children ready for pre-school, school

  • Support to help children learn and develop

  • Advice on potty training, breastfeeding

  • Speech and language support

How do I arrange to make a referral?

Parents/carers can refer themselves or a professional can refer a family with consent. To do this complete a ‘Family Centre Request for Family Support Form’ and return it to the Family Centre.  To do this either bring it in, post it or email to via Egress (secure email). Support completing the form is available in the centre, if required.